Life never goes according to the way we plan. It is filled with unexpected twists and turns that put us down. We, as human beings, should learn to get back up whenever life puts us down.
Below are eight ways to help you get back on track when things don’t work out.
1. Reflect upon yourself
Reflecting on your life allows you to gain more clarity about yourself, where you are right now, and where you would like to be in the future. You can focus on areas such as your family, relationships, career, and health. Various tools such as questionnaires can be used to conduct a life audit.
2. Identify the cause of failure
It is important to find out the cause that led to your fall. This plays a major role in healing ourselves. It also makes sure that we don’t make the same mistake twice. After identifying the cause of failure, you can move on with your life and pursue your goals.
3. Be confident
Confidence is what keeps us going. Lack of confidence is a reason why things don’t work out. You need to do whatever it takes to regain your mental as well as physical confidence. After all, it is what helps us gain control over our lives.
As a human, you need to be able to think clearly and have a clear plan. This will allow you to have a clear mind. An average human has around 70,000 thoughts per day. Since it is hard to focus on every single one of them, it is better to focus on the thoughts that are significant to you. This method will allow your mind to give attention to each important thought individually.
5. Condition your mind
People tend to think that they need to build up good habits from the beginning when things fail. But this isn’t true. Since people follow various habits and routines subconsciously, they can easily use current habits to restart healthy behaviors. This will enable them to gain back control over their lives.
6. Start from little things
Even though life is a powerful force that is beyond our control, remember that you can still control the tiny things around you. Even the slightest thing can transform into a huge life-changing momentum.
7. Be patient
Patience is the key to success. When things fail, you might try to get back on your feet as soon as possible. As a result, you rush through anything and everything to reach your goal. But this is not effective. You need to be patient with yourself and slow down.
8. Remember your purpose
It is vital to have self-awareness in order to take back control over your life. Once you fail, it is important to reflect on your original purpose as to why you wanted to control it from the beginning. Nothing can pull you down as long as you have a vital purpose.
You could apply the following quick check:
- Identify the root cause of your failure.
- Create a Schedule and stick to it.
- Use your current habits to restart the behavior.
- Get Back to the basics.
- Embrace imperfect starts.
- Change your environment.
- Keep yourself accountable.
- Try a different approach.
We also include ways you can stay motivated when things are just not going well:
- Take a step back and evaluate – schedule your habits into your life.
- Things don’t happen overnight – don’t linger on the problem.
- Focus on the positive – and on what you can work with.
- Take care of yourself – give yourself a break.
- Process your thoughts/emotions – uncover what is really going on.
- Do things that will make you happy.
- Think outside the box.
- Look at the big picture – it is just an obstacle you will overcome.
- Focus on something you can do today; even though it feels like you can’t do anything to change it, there are things you can do.
- Remember that it is only temporary.
- It could be worse.
- See beyond your despair.
- Keep your circle positive.
- Take a strategic break.