One of the most common causes of stress stems from the way you think and behave.
Do you worry about bad things that might happen even though you know you can’t do anything about it? Do you waste your time and energy worrying?
You might not have control over everything that happens in your life, but you have control over the outcome as most of your stress comes from the way you think and respond.
If you are that person worrying about things you can’t control, below are some pointers that will help you to change this.
• Take a minute to examine and identify the fears that are holding you back. Look at the best and worst scenarios. Write it down and find a solution even before it happens.
• Establish what you have control over and prepare for it. You cannot always have things going your way, so instead influence the situation and turn a negative situation into a positive one.
• By controlling your emotions, you eliminate adding worries to your bucket.
• Make a conscious decision to let go of things. Don’t worry about things that might happen.
• Stop replaying the fear in your head over and over, instead use this time to find a solution to the problem.
• If your thinking is not productive get up and do something productive. Do research, discuss the issue with someone and remind yourself that whatever comes your way, you can handle it.
• Before you act take a minute to calm down, think about your behavior and reaction and only then take control of the situation. Accept that there are things in your life you have no control over.
• Use phrases like, “I can and will influence the outcome,” “I can control my thoughts around this,” I will manage whatever comes my way” and “I will positively react to this.”
• Stop dwelling on the past, rather focus on the future.
Your actions are a choice. Don’t waste time on things you cannot control and accept that one thing you can control, your attitude towards life. You will never get this second of your life back, embrace and take control.