Recognizing the warning signs of concealed depression is very important, which could either help you to understand people you love, and for others who can see their own reflections in these habits.
Depression often goes unseen, diagnosed or even recognized. People with concealed depression is conditioned to deal with their own inner demons in ways that don’t make them visible.
1. They don’t hide their anxiety, they hide their symptoms.
They do everything in their power to ensure other people don’t see their struggles.
2. They have the most anxiety about having anxiety.
Due to the fact that they not comfortable letting people see them in an irrational panic, they have more anxiety by the idea.
3. They come across as a paradoxical mix of outgoing but introverted, very social but rarely out.
They are not anti-social, they can only take being around others in small doses.
4. They make situations worse by trying to suppress their feelings.
They don’t want to be pitied, so they are not comfortable with others seeing them in pain. Yet they are making things worse by suppressing it.
Related: 10 Ways to Treat Depression Without Antidepressants
5. They are often uniquely talented and expressive.
Many inspired and life changing artists, musicians, and leaders of this world also suffered from mental illness. These people who live with depression that may not be visible, often express themselves in incredible ways.
6. They may have abnormal sleeping and eating habits.
This may seem like an insignificant sign, yet it has a major effect. Sleeping or eating to much, or too little is a good example. These are two elements that the human mind can try control. This makes them feel they are in control of something.
7. They are often searching for a purpose.
We all want a purpose in life, knowing what we are doing is worthwhile and that we are moving in the right direction. Feelings of inadequacy and fear are no stranger to people with depression. They tend to change their directions very often, as they are searching for more and in pursuit of true happiness.
8. They are deep thinkers, and great problem-solvers.
One of the benefits of anxiety is that it leads you to considering every worst case scenario, and then how to handle or respond to each one of them.
9. They don’t trust easily, yet they will convince you that they do.
They like to make people around them feel loved and accepted, as it eases their anxiety.
10. They assume they are disliked by everyone and seek love and acceptance.
People who live with depression are not hiding their demons for the sake of dishonesty, but for the protection of their hearts and dreams. They know how it feels to be alone. Feeling disliked is stressful, yet it keeps them grounded and humble.
Related: Being Too Nice Contributes to Depression
11. They tend to desire control in most areas of their lives.
They tend to be over-workers and very particular about how they dress. They can’t seem to let go of relationships either.
12. They are very smart, yet they have doubts.
A high intelligence is linked to increased anxiety (and being doubtful of one’s mental capacity are linked to both).
Related: Why Intelligent People Can’t Find Happiness
13. They are almost always “self-regulating” their thoughts.
They talk themselves in, out, around, up or down from something, and more so in public places.
14. They will at times release subtle cries for help.
Outcries from people who you weren’t expecting to be crying out for help, are easily overlooked. They feel it is safer to be on their own, yet will sometimes open up and reach out. These are very crucial moments. These are the moments which creates a closeness and trust among friends and lovers that isn’t always easy if some feel they have to camouflage their true selves.
Related: Turmeric Lemonade Treats Depression Better Than Prozac And MORE!
This article is free and open source. You have permission to republish this article under a Creative Commons license with attribution to the author and Enlightened Consciousness. All hyperlinks within the article must remain intact.